I’ll be serving these tonight as either soft tacos or a buritto/chimichanga. I have my enchilada sauce (follow steps 1-6 and just let it simmer for 20 minutes) already made. I’ll make up some spiced corn, black bean and red onion salsa and perhaps a side of Mexican rice or refried beans.
But look at it.. it’s sooooooo pretty! I bet this would be AMAZING as a pizza with a creamy avocado sauce and colby jack cheese. *Mental note.. .try as pizza!*
Just a side note.. this definitely has some heat to it so you’ll need something cool to balance it out – creamy guacamole or cilantro sourcream.
|Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef|
- 1 (2 pound) london broil or pot/chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 small can diced green chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2-4 ounces hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 Tbl cilantro, minced
- Enough water to cover 1/3 of the meat
- Remove any fat from the sides of the meat.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the oil.
- Add the meat and pan sear all sides to where you a get a nice deep sear on it – watch for splatters!
- Add the meat to the crockpot.
- Top with chopped onions, both peppers and garlic.
- Sprinkle the dry spices on top trying to best evenly distribute.
- Add the hot sauce and chopped cilantro.
- Add enough water to go to 1/3 the way up the meat.
- Cover and turn on high for 5-6 hours.
- During the cooking time refrain from removing the lid. ONLY remove the lid briefly to add more water if it dissipates.
- After 5-6 hours, remove the meat to shred replacing the lid while you are shredding it.
- Using 2 forks, shred the beef.
- Add the shredded beef back to the juices and mix.
- Replace the lid and turn the crock pot to low.
- Cook for 1-2 hours to allow the meat to soak up all the juices and flavor.