Go on, you can stare a little longer. It’s okay, I don’t mind She’s pretty, isn’t she?
So as I was saying, I had a bonfire to go to yesterday and was asked to bring desserts. With the temperature in the 90′s and the humidity at 147% I needed something that could handle the heat, not melt, not be to heavy but still taste amazing.
Normally I make these from scratch and forgo the box cake mix stuff but I was short on time and decided to do a quick and easy cheater’s cake. If you’ve never made cake mix from scratch, try it once. The taste, at least to me, is so much better. Plus I like knowing I can control what goes in my mix.
|Caramelized Peach Upside Down Mini Cakes|
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cans of peach halves in heavy syrup (or 1 28 ounce can) – yes you can use slices as well. I just prefer halves for individual presentations.
- 1/3 cup peach brandy (Optional) – can use all peach syrup or water
- 2 eggs
- 1 box white cake mix
- *optional add ins- 1 cup toasted whole pecans, fresh blueberries, fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly spray large muffin tins.
- Mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until it’s thick. If it’s runny, add a tsp more brown sugar.
- Add 1-2 Tbl mixture to bottom of tin.
- Drain peaches saving syrup.
- If using pecans, add 3-4 whole pecans on top of the brown sugar mixture. Same if you’re using blueberries or raspberries. Add them in now.
- Place peach half in each tin, pit side down (okay, really it doesn’t matter. I just like to have that hull facing up when I turn them out as that fills up with the caramel syrup)
- In a bowl, mix cake mix, eggs, 1 cup peach syrup and 1/3 cup peach brandy.
- Fill the tins up cup 3/4′s full.
- Bake 20-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 3 minutes then using a knife, go around the edges.
- Place a cooling rack on top and flip over to release. Place on a cookie tray to catch the juices (and prevent a huge cleanup mess!)
- Cool completely.
- Store covered.