So I’ve been going through this odd period in my life as of late where I’m craving chocolate. It’s as if Ineedit. Which is odd as I’ve never really been a sweet eater and chocolate, while it’s awesome, is something I never craved. But these past few weeks I’ve been craving it. Perhaps it’s based on the fact that my real job is ridiculously stressful or it could be that with Halloween just passing us by we were inundated with candy out the wazoo or it could be that I’m aging (SHUSH! I am NOT getting old!) and that whole hormonal thing is coming into play. Whatever it is.. thank you 🙂 Chocolate is truly fantabulous!
As you all know I tend to eat very healthy although if you’re first exposure to me was as last night and my confession of having Fritos dipped in ganache for dinner you’d think otherwise. First off.. don’t judge me for that as I had a horrifically rough day at the office and 2– it was friggen AMAZING! I bet if you tried it you’d treat it like a dirty little secret and covet it as well.. just sayin…
That being said, after the guilt I felt last night from my confession (well okay I wasn’t too guilty as it was that good) I knew I had to eat a healthier breakfast. I opted for oatmeal. As I was putting it in the pan I got that craving again for chocolate. It was insane, seriously. Now mind you, I never, EVER eat candy bars though I have a crapload of ’em at my house from BooFest. And although I tried my hardest to quiet the beast in my belly, I had to succumb. I then remembered my Dark Chocolate Oatmeal recipe. PERFECT!
This stuff is so friggen good that one bite and you will have the big Chocolate ‘O!!! *For kids under 18 – the big ‘O us adults are referring to is the face of ‘OMG this is like totally awesome’!* um, yeah… *wink* LOL Since I knew dark chocolate is so much better for us..
- Dark Chocolate is good for your heart!
- Dark Chocolate is good for your brain!
- Dark Chocolate help controls your blood sugar!
- It’s full of antioxidants!
- It’s high in Potassium, Copper, Magnesium and Iron!
Anyway, like I said, dark chocolate is good for us! So to satisfy my carnal craving I went totally decadent, but healthy!
Now a fair warning to you all… this is uber chocolately! And tis not for the faint of heart. For me it’s a cross between cake batter and bliss taste-wise. If you wanted to, start off with 1/2 the cocoa and add more if need be.
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup milk (to make it super decadent use heavy cream but then you negate it from being healthy)
- 1 1/2 Tbl sugar
- 1 Tbl Cocoa Powder (I prefer King Arthur Dough Dutch Cocoa)
- 1-2 Tbl dark chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, mix oats, milk (cream), sugar and cocoa powder.
- Bring just to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. - just to where the edges are starting to boil. You don't want a full rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the milk is almost gone and the oats are soft.
- Pour the oatmeal into a bowls and garnish with the dark chocolate chips.