So if you remember from the other day I scored BIG time 5 pounds of gorgeous basil for a few bucks. Now that I had all of that I was in major Pesto making mode. Do you have any idea how much pesto 5 pounds of basil makes??? A LOT.. no really.. A LOT! Now if I had my bistro right now it would be perfect however in a 2-person home, um yeah… I’m going to have enough pesto til 2018 I think! LOL Now the thing with Pesto it doesn’t have a long shelf life. In the fridge we’re talking 2-3 days; MAYBE 4 but that’s pushing it. And since I’m lucky I can fit 4 grapes in my fridge due to the massive amounts of stuff in there (trust me, no one would EVER starve in my house I think!) I had to do something with the basil. There was no way I was letting that glorious green goodness go bad. No way, no how. I pulled out my trusty dusty mini muffin pans, lined them with the plastic wrap and made Pesto Cubes. Sure you can use an ice cube tray but does anyone have those anymore? I don’t as my fridge makes ice but if you have that, use them! Just line them with plastic wrap as it makes it SO MUCH EASIER to get the Pesto-sicles out!
Pretty cool, huh? No muss, no fuss and NO CLEAN UP (well okay, of the pans at least!
|Pesto out the wazoo! Preserving your pesto…||
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- Homemade Pesto
- Pans or ice cube trays
- Plastic Wrap
- Plastic Freezer Bag
- Line mini muffin tins with plastic wrap.
- Portion out the pesto into the lined tin cups.
- Cover with a piece of parchment paper and pop into the freezer for a good hour or until they are frozen solid.
- Remove the tin from the freezer and pop them into a freezer safe bag.
- Put the bag back in the freezer and whenever you need fresh pesto, pop out a few of the Pesto Cups and you’re good to go!