I am seriously in love with fresh zucchini and basil right now. I bought this Boxwood Basil for the first time this year and it’s growing like a weed! It’s AMAZING! On my way home the other day I stopped at the farmer’s market and picked up the most fattest, reddest cherry tomatoes. Now you know me, I am NOT a fan of fresh tomatoes. I mean I LOVE tomato-y things but to eat an actual piece of tomato with all that squishy stuff in it. OMG I’d die! LOL I am suuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a texture person and tomato ‘innards’ creep me out! But I cook with them and still continue to try them just in case my tastes/creep-out factor changes.
Yeah, I’m weird like that. LOL
Saturday Mr. Fantabulous wanted lunch. Since we were going out that night for dinner, I wanted to keep lunch light. Now I could serve that man pasta every single day and he’d never tire of it but *I* wanted a change. Since I had all these fresh gorgeous veggies I decided to whip up a Summer Garden Pasta.
This dish just oozed Summer! It was fresh and light. Creamy and just bright. The fresh veggies just made the dish! Add in some of that amazing basil and fresh mozzarella. Oh LORD this was PERFECT! I loved this so much that I actually had leftovers of it today and it was STILL that fantabulous! Yes, yours truly actually ate leftovers! LOL
If you’re looking for a great alternative to something light, vegetarian and totally scrumptious, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE this!
What type of fresh veggies would you use in yours? Maybe eggplant? Squash? Do tell!Print
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thick cut button mushrooms
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 Tbl garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2-3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbl lemon juice
- 3 Tbl fresh basil leaves (I used boxwood) – ~10 large basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb cappellini noodles
- 2 Tbl olive oil plus additional for drizzle
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- Cook the pasta per the directions on the package reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until it shimmers.
- Add in the mushrooms, zucchini and shallots.
- Cook for 2 minutes and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the mushrooms and zucchini begins to soften slightly.
- Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the lemon juice and tomatoes.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes just until the tomatoes start to blister and soften.
- Add in the cooked pasta and parmesan cheese.
- Add in 1/2 cup of the pasta water to loosen the mixture.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil and fresh mozzarella.
- Stir to incorporate. If thickened add a Tbl or more of water.
- Taste and add in remaining salt and pepper if needed.
- Plate and drizzle with olive oil.