I whipped up a batch of this sauce which lemme tell you what is AMAZING not only on ice cream but on pancakes.. (psst.. I have a KILLER lemon coconut oat blueberry pancake recipe on the horizon) and also on chicken. Yep.. chicken.
This topping was so good; slightly tart as I added some lemon juice to it but you could easily omit.
The flavors though were so deep and rich; almost seductive just like the color of the sauce.
When I made his banana split and used this in lieu of the strawberry topping he LOVED it! Now to him this isn’t a classic banana split because it didn’t contain the holy trinity of sauces. This, he said, was ‘elegant’. LOL
|Blueberry Ice Cream Topping||
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice *optional (this helps break up the sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp butter
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat add in blueberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the sauce thickens; stirring occasionally.
- If the mixture starts to foam, add in the butter and stir.
- Pour all but 1/3 cup into a bowl.
- Using an immersion blender, puree.
- Pour this back with the remaining 1/3 cup.
- Allow to slightly cool.
- Pour into a glass jar and cover.
- Store in the refrigerator.