It’s football and hockey season now along with the end of baseball as well. That being said there are some foods that are iconic of the sport. Wings are a must in any household, bar, restaurant that is showcasing the big game. It’s almost a law in some cities. While traditionally wings are deep-fried and then slathered in sauce, shaken to lightly coat or left nekked to dip yours truly is not a big fan of deep-fried foods. Don’t get me wrong, I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE fried foods however my thighs and butt love them a bit more! So needless to say Mr. Fantabulous wanted wings and this child refused to deep fry them. That being said I had to figure out a way to make them baked BUT still make them as crispy and as flavorful. I wanted Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken Wings plain and simple.
As you can see by the pictures, mission accomplished! Now to truly get wings this crispy, that fried outcome, you need to plan ahead. See when you bake chicken like this you need to draw out the moisture. Now don’t worry as these badboys will be super juicy and moist but if you try and bake as-is, they won’t get crispy like a fried wing is. Thus you need to plan.
See you need to coat these in a mixture and then literally let them sit on a tray, uncovered in your fridge over night or 8 hours at a minimum. The next day all you need to do is pop the trays in the oven and bake away.
Now once they are done, how you choose to cover these is totally your choice.
You can toss them in some bbq sauce, buffalo glaze, maybe a melted butter garlic sauce. Heck even plain ol’ seasoned salt.
All I know is these did not last very long as Mr. Fantabulous was all over these in a heartbeat.
- 4 lbs chicken wings, halved at joints, wingtips set aside (save for stock)
- 1 Tbl baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, and set rack inside.
- Carefully dry chicken wings with paper towels.
- Place wings in a bag, add the baking powder and salt.
- Shake evenly.
- Place on rack, leaving slight space between each wing.
- Place baking sheet with wings in refrigerator and allow to rest, uncovered, at least 8 hours. This draws out the moisture.
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add chicken wings and cook for 20 minutes.
- Flip wings and continue to cook until crisp and golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes longer or until internal temperature is 165F.