Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken Wings

It’s football and hockey season now along with the end of baseball as well.  That being said there are some foods that are iconic of the sport.  Wings are a must in any household, bar, restaurant that is showcasing the big game. It’s almost a law in some cities.  While traditionally wings are deep-fried and then slathered in sauce, shaken to lightly coat or left nekked to dip yours truly is not a big fan of deep-fried foods.  Don’t get me wrong, I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE fried foods however my thighs and butt love them a bit more!  So needless to say Mr. Fantabulous wanted wings and this child refused to deep fry them. That being said I had to figure out a way to make them baked BUT still make them as crispy and as flavorful.  I wanted Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken Wings plain and simple.

Crispy Baked Wings2

As you can see by the pictures, mission accomplished! Now to truly get wings this crispy, that fried outcome, you need to plan ahead.  See when you bake chicken like this you need to draw out the moisture.  Now don’t worry as these badboys will be super juicy and moist but if you try and bake as-is, they won’t get crispy like a fried wing is.  Thus you need to plan.

See you need to coat these in a mixture and then literally let them sit on a tray, uncovered in your fridge over night or 8 hours at a minimum. The next day all you need to do is pop the trays in the oven and bake away.

Crispy Baked Wings

Now once they are done, how you choose to cover these is totally your choice.

You can toss them in some bbq sauce, buffalo glaze, maybe a melted butter garlic sauce.  Heck even plain ol’ seasoned salt.

Crispy Baked Wings1

All I know is these did not last very long as Mr. Fantabulous was all over these in a heartbeat.

I was completely happy about this as he got his wings and I didn’t have to fret over hot oil and adding all that fat to our diets!  Crispy Baked Wings3

4.9 from 11 reviews
Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken Wings

Author:

Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
Ingredients
  • 4 lbs chicken wings, halved at joints, wingtips set aside (save for stock)
  • 1 Tbl baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, and set rack inside.
  2. Carefully dry chicken wings with paper towels.
  3. Place wings in a bag, add the baking powder and salt.
  4. Shake evenly.
  5. Place on rack, leaving slight space between each wing.
  6. Place baking sheet with wings in refrigerator and allow to rest, uncovered, at least 8 hours. This draws out the moisture.
  7. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
  8. Add chicken wings and cook for 20 minutes.
  9. Flip wings and continue to cook until crisp and golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes longer or until internal temperature is 165F.
Notes
Once the wings are done, garnish with your favorite wing sauce

More deliciousness awaits...:

20 Responses to “Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken Wings”

• Linda says:

Question? One tablespoon of baking powder to 4 pounds of chicken wings? No flour? I’ve never heard of this, but the pictures make them look just like fried.

Hi Linda!

Yep, that’s it! You’re not ‘breading’ the wings. The baking powder is used to draw out the moisture. It’s just a light coating on the wings. After they rest in the fridge over night, you just bake in the oven. There’s no need to bread them.

• These wings are best with out deep frying.

• Arya says:

Is there nutritional info on this??

I cannot provide the nutritional value on these but there are tons of sites out there that can calculate calories, fats, etc… For you.

• Mrs. J says:

These were so good. I took them to a jazz festival with friends and one of our group members had to tell her fiance “there is no more meat on the bone.” I seasoned mine up since I didn’t use any sauce and did that right before putting them in the oven. Will definitely be doing this again!

Hi Mrs. J! Oh yum! I love wings like that too – just great seasoning with no sauce (plus it’s less messy). I’m so thrilled that you and your friends loved them!

• lois smart says:

I just now saw that they needed to be UNcovered in the fridge overnight! Mine had a loose piece of plastic wrap on them. I just uncovered them at 11am and will need to cook at 3:30. I hope I didn’t ruin the outcome of the crispy skin by covering them.

You should be ok.

Hi Lois!

They should be fine as I commented above. The purpose of ‘drying’ them out uncovered in the fridge is to let the baking powder and salt draw out the liquid from the skin. If you cover them you have the potential of keeping the moisture in. However if you left them just loosely wrapped, they should still crisp up really nice.

Plus at the end if you want you can always broil them just for a few minutes to ensure crispness.

• Lois smart says:

Thank you. Yes, very loosely covered and I did uncover as soon as I saw my mistake. They go in the oven in about an hour! I’ll report back tomorrow!!!!

• C. Stewart says:

Baking powder? Sounded a little weird, but I thought let’s give it a try. Instead of the salt, I added a dry Cajun spice mix and it was probably more than the salt it replaced. They were amazing. I’ve been told by my husband that I will make these again=)

Yep, I would not steer you wrong. It helps draw moisture to the surface of the poultry skin, where it can evaporate. The acid helps break down proteins within the skin, and the alkali accelerates the browning process, meaning that the skin can crisp more quickly.

Now if you do a search on here for wings you’ll see a bunch of wing recipes with various sauces. Try them with these wings! Thank you again so much!

• andrew maloney says:

can i use rice flour

Hi Andrew,

I would say no as the chemical makeup of baking powder and rice flour are completely different (granted I’m not a chemist).

Baking powder helps draw the moisture into the skin which, when it bakes, it evaporates leaving a crispy skin. As stated in an earlier comment, the acid helps break down proteins within the skin, and the alkali accelerates the browning process, meaning that the skin can crisp more quickly.