So I’ve been on this Pizza Puff craze lately. They are awesome and super simple to make! Plus with it being football season, these are perfect for the food table! They are great room temp or straight out of the oven and into my belly… er I mean your mouth *wink*.
I gave you the Buffalo Chicken Puffs which were a HUGE hit then I went with the Cheesy Meatball Puffs. Now we’re going full on Club Puffs. Delicate layers of dough filled with ham, turkey and ooey gooey cheese brushed in the most awesome mustard sauce. It’s the PERFECT compliment to these little puffs of awesomeness!
These little puffs are so tasty! The butter dijon glaze that is baked on top is incredible! You don’t need dipping sauce or anything with these. Just pick ’em up and start eating! Well okay, if they are straight out of the oven you may want to blow on them as they will be hot. Like really, REALLY hot! I maybe-kinda-sorta-burnt-my-lips-and-the-inside-of-my-mouth-on-one-by-taking-a-HUGE-bite-before-testing-to-see-if they-were-hot. Yeah, blow people, blow!
But seriously just look at all that ooey gooey melty cheese inside all snuggled up with those layers of ham and turkey. And the dough! Dear GOD the dough!
We were having movie night while I was recuperating from surgery. I was at the point where I was kinda allowed in the kitchen to cook however I had to be supervised – meaning Mr. Fantabulous stood there helping me out and making sure that stubborn me didn’t lift anything or do anything I wasn’t supposed to. As I was making these he was watching so intently, asking 900 questions as I was going. “Why are you doing it that way?” “How do you know it’ll taste good when they are done?” “Mustard and butter??? Are you sure?” and so forth. All I would say is “Nope, not sure if it’ll turn out but I’ve got to try.”
Let’s just say these didn’t last but 30 minutes into the movie they were so good!
See that’s what 99% of recipe creation is – trying. I don’t want to say it’s a ‘guessing game’ because it’s not. You have to have some inkling and a great foundation to start with (TYVM Mom & Dad!) and then just go from there. It’s about taking chances and almost having a 6th sense.
People will often ask me where I come up with my recipes or pretty much ask how I knew to put this and that together to make it taste amazing. Thing is, I really can’t answer them. I just know. Plus I experiment a ton. Sure I have flops and stuff that I wouldn’t serve to my worst enemy but through failure you ultimately achieve success. You learn from your mistakes and grow from it. That’s just like anything in life really. When being in the kitchen don’t have fear nor let ingredients or even a recipe intimidate you. Just try and if you fail, try again or just ask questions, ask for advice or just ask for help.
- 1 Best Pizza Dough ball
- 8 ounces oven roasted turkey, cut thin
- 8 ounces Virginia baked ham, sliced thin
- 8 ounces Colby jack cheese, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 2 Tbl melted butter
- 2 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Lightly spray a 9x13” metal pan and then line with parchment (leaving a 1” overhang).
- Spray the parchment paper and set the pan aside.
- Pinch off a 2x2” round piece of dough and flatten on a lightly floured board to a 4” round circle.
- Take a cube of cheese and wrap an ounce of ham around it followed by an ounce of turkey.
- Place in the center of the dough and gently pull up the edges to form a purse.
- Gently pinch the ends together and tuck into itself until tightly sealed.
- Place seam side down in the pan.
- Repeat until all the dough is used up – you’ll place the dough balls side by side. It’s okay that they touch barely but don’t overcrowd as they will expand.
- In a bowl mix together the mustard and melted butter.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops with the mustard mixture.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and evenly divide the shredded parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve.