With this being my busy season with holiday orders, my getting the chance to sit down and eat a real breakfast, lunch and dinner is something of a Christmas wish. However I always make sure that while I’m up to my elbows in flour, cookie dough and frostings that I make sure to eat and further more eat healthy. I mean I do have to try all the cookies, batters and frostings right? LOL That being the case, every year I whip up a batch of these scrumptious breakfast muffins that are packed with protein, some carbs and yummy goodness that gets me through the morning dough making. What’s awesome about these is I can make a full dozen and just wrap them up, pop ’em in the freezer and when I’m ready to eat, just let it defrost, warm it up in the oven/microwave and enjoy!
When I make these the fillings are never the same. I go with what I have on hand at the time. The meat and cheese measurements are the same but the type of meats/cheeses varies. I don’t always have sausage on hand (I will always, ALWAYS have bacon on hand from now on! Once you’re bacon-less and craving it, you learn that lesson fast!). So if you’re not a bacon fan (what’s wrong with you for not liking the best thing ever created?? LOL), go with all sausage. Not a meat fan? Add cheese and maybe some sauteed veggies! These ones are packed with apple chicken sausage, hickory smoked apple bacon and 3 types of cheeses. That’s just how I roll. LOL
With these you can make them in a cupcake liner or without on though if you make it without one you MUST grease the cupcake wells otherwise they won’t come out. These ones were made without. I like the bottoms a little more crispy.
Now because I’m evil when I eat these I pour over some maple bacon syrup on top and eat ’em with a fork. You can add butter, ketchup or whatever you like. I’ve seen some use hot sauce. Oh Oh OHHHHH… I bet these would be awesome with Sriracha!
With the kids having off for the holidays, this is something they can easily take out of the freezer, pop in the microwave or toaster oven and heat up themselves while you tend to the 9 million other things you do. I should say though this is assuming your kids are old enough to touch these appliances without supervision. Safety first!
Since these muffins are packed with lots of meats and cheeses you can easily have these for breakfast, lunch and or dinner. Yes, there have been days where I’ve literally just eaten these for an entire day. I just get so busy in the kitchen that I forget to eat. And when I remember I’m usually too tired to make something from scratch. These, pre-made, are effortless and totally satisfying!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 Tbl melted butter, cooled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded gouda
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar plus 2-3 slices cut into 2” strips
- 1 cup cooked sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cooked crispy bacon cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbl minced chives
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners or parchment paper. If not lining, grease well!
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the butter, egg, and milk.
- Mix until just combined, and then add the cheeses, sausage and bacon
- Fill the cupcake tin 3/4 the way.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a skewer comes out just slightly moist (don’t over bake). *in the last 2 minutes of baking top with a slice of cheddar.
- Remove these from the tray a 30 seconds to a minute after removing from the oven.
- Garnish with chives and serve warm with a side of maple bacon syrup.
- Store in the fridge.
Check out the rest of the Countdown to Christmas 2013 recipes, tips and tricks!