So with Christmas only a few days away making full-blown meals right now is pretty much bust. With the hustle and bustle of the holidays we’re all about snacking and grabbing small bites versus sitting down for a big meal. Well that is, until Christmas day.
Just a few days ago I shared with you how to make killer homemade potato skins. And as I told you, they are super easy. Plus they make the perfect edible food vessel! What I love about these potato skins is literally you can stuff ’em with leftovers you have in the fridge. This recipe happened because I had leftover Triple B (Bacon, Beef & BBQ Sauce) Burgers in the fridge. Since I wasn’t feeling a bun I opted to use some of those puppies in a lovely tater skin.
Now me being me, I cannot eat a beef burger without bacon and cheese. I mean it’s like unnatural. It’s like peanut butter without the jelly, cookies without the milk or not breathing. So Bacon Cheeseburger Potato Skins it was!
To make these, honestly there were pretty simple – just fry up some bacon, warm up the burgers and chop up some cheese. Add them to the tater skin and pop ’em into the oven to bake. Easy Peasy! Since Mr. Fantabulous was working I just made enough for me as a snack. I swear to you that man has ninja food sniffing skills because as soon as they came out of the oven all ooey gooey cheese bubblin and bacon sizzlin’ he walks into the door.
I’m greeted with a resounding “Oh great! I’m starving! Thanks honey!”
Er….. um… you’re welcome…<deep sigh>
Sadly that was the last of the Triple B burgers that I had in the fridge and bacon. Yes… I had no more bacon in my house. I know, me – not have a reserve of bacon, how is that even possible? A house is not a home when there is no bacon in the house. So there I sat, watching my husband scarfing down those amazing potato skins as I sat there giving him mental evil death glares. Oh the things we do (and sacrifices we make) for our loved ones, eh?
I swear within a blink of an eye they were gone and THEN I got “Hey what was that anyways? Those were really, really good. Aren’t you eating?” HA! Yeah, I was eating those sizzling cheese tater skins (in my head you cow). I explained that I was working on a snack recipe and one that could serve as a light meal, party appetizer or quick dish. He then threw out something pretty ingenious. “You know babe, those would be awesome for a football game! Stuff them with all kinds of stuff!”
Whoa! SWEET! So as I sat there and at my bowl of Cheerios since he ate my meal I planned out my following day. Early the next morning before sleeping beauty woke up I was at the gym then hit up Sam’s club and my butcher for some much needed bacon and beef. I NEEDED these Bacon Cheeseburger Tater skins in my life…and in my belly!
Plus since I put in almost 2 hours at the gym this made for a great post-workout meal as it had carbs and protein. Yes I know sweet potatoes would have been a better carb choice but I can’t get past the whole making sweet pototaoes savory thing.
Once I got home I got the Triple B burgers made and fried up the bacon. I just was about to put these all together when sleepy beauty came out to the kitchen rubbing his gorgeous eyes and yawning morning (even though it was almost noon). And then he spied the crispy bacon.
Into his mouth went a few strips and then he kissed me while asking if I would make him eggs to go along with the rest of the bacon. LOL I swear if he wasn’t so damn sexy…
So while I made his eggs I fried up more bacon and fed him. I then got distracted with a few phone calls and laundry. Before I knew it, it was close to 4pm and I still hadn’t eaten. This time I made a full tray of these babies because I knew my Ninja Food Sniff Master would sniff them out and want some (i.e., mine).
OMG seriously that first bite… AMAZING! The skins were crispy, the burger juicy, the cheese all gooey and that bacon… dear lord. But what seriously pushed it over the edge was the drizzle of bbq sauce in it! For his I also added some green onions and chopped tomatoes to give it more of a ‘burger feel. He, again, went nuts over these!
What’s funny as I didn’t get around to editing these pictures for about 2 months. Just life got in the way. As I was editing these Mr. Fantabulous walked into the office, sees these images and actually said “HEY! What are those?! I don’t remember eating them! Those look amazing! How come I didn’t get any?”
I just said “sweet not only did you eat them, you had them a few times and you loved them.” He quickly followed up with “I don’t believe you. I think you need to make these so I can taste them again for the first time.”
I. just. can’t. LOLPrint
- 4 Russet Baked Potatoes, halved and filling scooped out
- 2-3 cooked Lord Have Mercy Triple B Burgers, warmed
- 6-8 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crispy
- 1 1/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, smaller cubes
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Chipotle Maple BBQ Sauce, warmed (optional but it’s so worth it!)
- Green onions for garnish
- 2 Tbl butter, unsalted and melted
- 2 Tbl canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400F, rack in the middle.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven-safe cooling rack on top.
- Place the scooped out potato filling in a container and save for use.
- Place the potato skin hulled side up.
- Mix together the butter and oil.
- Brush the inside of the halved potatoes with the butter mixture.
- Place halved side up on the cooling rack and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, flip over, brush with the butter mixture and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Rough chop the Lord Have Mercy Triple B Burgers and bacon.
- Place 1-2 Tbl of the Chipotle Maple BBQ Sauce in the potato skin and brush to coat the inside.
- Place a few cubes of the cheese on top of the sauce.
- Evenly divide the chopped burgers and bacon into each potato skin.
- Place the cheese on top and try to push some of the cheese cubes down in between the meat filling.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with green onions and bbq sauce (if desired).