Archive for the ‘Puppy Chow’ Category
So ever since I posted my recipe for the Butterfinger Chocolate Peanut Butter Puppy Chow I’ve been getting a boat load of requests for other flavors as well as nut-free ones. Since I’ve been on this citrus kick I knew exactly what I wanted to make…
See growing up my Dad would be me those orange push-up ice creams and he would always get a creamsicle. Well for me those Flintstones Push-Ups were the greatest thing on earth… UNTIL I tasted his orange creamsicle!
Orange Sherbet AND Vanilla Ice Cream! Are you kidding me??? This stuff was the bomb!
Well as the years passed I kind of forgot about them. One day I was in the store, wasn’t feeling to good. So I bought some ginger ale and orange sherbert. As I was walking down the ice cream aisle I saw THEM. Those childhood beauties. I ended up buying Read the rest of this entry »
So the other night I had a craving. Like I didn’t want cake or chips or even hummus (yes I crave hummus). Ice cream wasn’t cutting it only because Mr. Fantabulous has completely burnt me out on ice cream thanks to his now 5 week straight daily Banana Split ‘requirement’.
Since I have been on this Vanilla Chex kick aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I was rummaging through my freezer and found leftover Halloween candy I figured I would make a batch of puppy chow.
Now for those of you that don’t know what ‘Puppy Chow’ is you may know it by ‘Muddy Buddy’ or chex mix. Puppy chow is cereal coated with melted chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. There are, however, different flavors of puppy chow. Puppy chow is one of those things that take as little as 3 ingredients to a max of maybe 7 or 8. Anything more than you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time than I have!
This took maybe 5 minutes to make and 10 minutes to chill in the fridge .. but I may or may not have partaken in several… hundred tastings.
I’ll be posting other renditions of this as the days go by. This is an awesome snack for sending care packages to your kids or snacks for after school activities.
- 6 cups Vanilla Chex
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 12.5 ounce bag Butterfingers, divided
- Place 12 Butterfingers in a food processor and pulse until crushed (do not make into a powder).
- Empty into a bowl and set aside.
- Place the remaining Butterfingers (~5) in the food processor and pulse just until medium sized chunks.
- Place the Chex cereal into a LARGE bowl with lid and set aside.
- In a microwave proof bowl, melt milk chocolate chips and peanut butter ~ 45 seconds, stir heat for another 15-20 seconds and stir until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate peanut butter over cereal and stir until well coated.
- Add the crushed Butterfingers.
- Cover with the lid and shake, shake, shake it!
- Add in the Butterfinger chunks and gently mix.
- Empty onto a large parchment lined cookie sheet to let cool. *don’t overlap so you may need to use two.
- Store in air tight container though it won’t last long enough!