Posts Tagged ‘Berry’
She often made this and then while it was still warm, scoop us some out and put a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on it. I can remember I would sit there until there as long as I could watching the ice cream melt all along the sides of the streusal bars and pool along the bottom.
|Berry Streusal Bars|
- 1 cup rolled oats (instant)
- 3/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 rounded tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter +3 Tbl
- 1 cup blueberries – fresh
- 1 cup diced strawberries – fresh
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix well to break up lumps of flour and sugar.
- Melt the 3/4 cup of butter and add it, along with the vanilla, to the oat mixture.
- Stir until moistened.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and strawberries trying not to bruise them
- Grease and flour an 8×8 glass baking pan
- Dump the mixture into the pan and firmly press it down making sure to not break the fruit. Essentially want it to be compacted and tight. This is what’ll form the bars for you.
- Melt remaining butter and drizzle it over the bars. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown, the let cool completely – this can take up to 45 minutes!
The only downfall about this is that it doesn’t have a long shelf life as the addition of fruit in it will cause it to get soggy after a few days. You can store it in the fridge but I would recommend making this the day or at most, the day before.