So I have to share with a funny story that, of course, involves Mr. Fantabulous.
As you recall, we’re remodeling our entire downstairs …finally *grumble grumble grumble* so with that I’ve been cooking sometimes 2 meals a night this way they have full meals for lunch the next day. So last night I decide to make something healthier. Instead of the normal lasagna (which I LOOOOOVE) I opted for quinoa zucchini lasagna.
I know right?! Sounds amazing, I know!
So Mr. Fantabulous comes up from working on the construction downstairs and goes “WOW, what smells incredible?!” I replied “I made lasagna.” He then walks over to the oven, sees the Quinoa Zucchini Lasagna, puts hands on hips and goes “That is NOT lasagna! That is NOT the Italian way! I’m calling my mother! You’re in trouble!” LOLOL I about died!
If you also recall he’s VERRRRRRRRRY Italian and lord knows I had to earn my way into ma familigia!
Well don’t you know he actually called his mother!
So needless to say this is all MINE MINE MINE! This is unbelievably, fantasticly, awesometastical delicious! This is packed with protein, very healthy for you! AND if you don’t like ricotta, you can easily substitute in tofu or cottage cheese!
Go make this.
GO MAKE THIS!
Zucchini Quinoa Lasagna
Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net. Also, join our TKW Family on Facebook
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large zucchini, roughly 12-16 slices sliced 1/4” thin
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 3 cups Marinara sauce
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of salt plus extra for the zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Put the quinoa and butter in a pan and saute over medium for about 5-7 minutes or until the quinoa smells nutty. They will also get slightly browned (don’t burn them!). Also, stir gently while they are cooking.
- Pour the vegetable stock and 1 cup of marinara in and bring just to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- While this is boiling, take the zucchini slices and lay them down on a paper towel.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt (maybe 1/2 teaspoon over all of them) and then cover with another paper towel. This will help draw out the liquid in them so your dish will not get mushy.
- In a separate bowl, add in the cooked quinoa, ricotta, parmesan cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, spices and egg.
- Stir well and fast (you don’t want the egg to cook). It will become creamier. You want it blended.
- Put 1/2 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of an 8×8 casserole dish (you want a deep dish one!) If you don’t have a deep dish one, use a 9×13” dish.
- Line the bottom with 4 slices of zucchini
- Add 1/2 of quinoa mixture.
- Top with sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Add 1/2 cup of marinara sauce.
- Repeat by adding another layer of zucchini, the rest of the quinoa, mushrooms and 1/2 cup of sauce.
- Add last layer of zucchini and top with remaining marinara sauce.
- Cover with foil and place the dish on a cookie sheet to catch any spillage.
- Cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until the zucchini can be pierced with a sharp knife. You don’t want it super soft. You want it to still be just slightly firm.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Why are you still here? Go to the market, get the ingredients and make this! This is AMAZING!!!
Recipe Reviews & Comments
Mary Bulman says
I was pretty sure I would like this, but very confident my husband would not even try it. However, when he smelled it baking he was intrigued. Then, he actually tried it!! He LOVED it!! I was so proud of him! Thank you for proving to him that healthy can taste fabulous!! Definite favorite!!! Especially because I didn’t have to cook something separate for the hubs!!
Isn’t that the best feeling when you make something that you didn’t think someone out like and they end up loving it? That’s awesome that he loved it too! Thank you so much!
Best Kitchen Wishes!
Im going to make this tomorrow,I love zucchini,and pasta, so, this will be interesting. I’ll let you know what I think, thanks for posting..
Angela T says
I had extra zucchini from the weekend when I made kabobs. I needed to use the zucchini before it went bad and I remembered seeing this a while back. Holy cow this was amazing. My husband even liked it and he is a huge meat eater. I was shocked at how the quinoa solidified and cut just like a noodle lasagna. Maybe better. This was great and super healthy. Thanks for giving me something new to try it was delicious!!
Hi Angela! That’s awesome to hear, thank you! I make this dish often for me as I’m not a huge pasta eater but marrying into an Italian family you HAVE to have pasta every night. LOL This is my way to ‘fit in’ plus keep it healthier!
Best Kitchen Wishes!
Oh wow that looks delicious! 2 of my favorite foods – quinoa and zucchini! Thanks for dinner suggestion for tonight!
I had this again for lunch and will probably have for dinner too!
Let me know how you like it!
Best Kitchen Wishes!