- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onions, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 oz) cans beans: drained and rinsed (any type bean is fine) (or 1 large can drained kidney/white beans and 1 can baked beans)
- 2 large Perfectly Baked Potatoes, cooled and sliced into 1/2” slices
- 6 good-quality hot dogs: sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Melt the bacon fat in a cast iron skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, until just soft.
- Add in the tomato paste and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes or until you can smell it cooking.
- Add the brown sugar, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce and salt.
- Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes, until beans are soft.
- Add in the baked beans and potatoes, stir gently to combine.
- Cook for a minute just to warm up.
- Stir the hot dog pieces into the bean mixture and transfer skillet to the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
I serve this with a side of Honey Sweet Corn Bread. It’s my absolute favorite!