This is just…
words just can’t describe how amazing…
This sauce is sweet, spicy, tangy, zippy, bacon-y, it’s full bodied and robust.
In some upcoming recipes you’ll see just how I used this sauce… other than eating it straight off the spoon!
Look at these GORGEOUS BBQ Boneless Beef Short Rib Sliders!!! Tell me these don’t scream SHOVE ME IN YOUR FACE RIGHT NOW?!!!
Grilled Pizza (either on the bbq or indoors) with Shredded Beef Short Ribs and Bacon BBQ Sauce!
Like literally, I ate an entire one myself!
A word on canning
Do NOT use a water bath method on this. The ONLY way you should can this is by using a pressure canner as this contains meat. Please follow pressure canning guidelines to do so.Print
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbl garlic, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup whiskey (Jack) or beef broth
- 4 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbl dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder or 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbl Spice Rub *See Note
- 2 Tbl sea salt
- 1 Tbl celery salt
- 1 Tbl smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbl fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 4 Tbl dark brown sugar
Make the Spice Rub
- Add the spice rub ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. Cover tightly and set aside.
- You will have extra so store in an air-tight container.
Make the Bacon BBQ Sauce
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottom pot over medium heat, and add the bacon. Cook, stirring, until the bacon is browned and crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside. Remove all but 1 Tbl of bacon grease from the pot and discard.
- To the pan, add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and 2 Tbl spice rub mix. Stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients (whiskey/broth, Worcestershire, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, dark brown sugar, espresso powder, honey and maple syrup) and bring to a low simmer. Add the cooked bacon; stir. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool if leaving chunky. If you want it smooth, use an immersion blender to smooth. Transfer to a covered container (I prefer glass) and store it in the fridge.
The Spice Rub recipe makes more than what is called for in this recipe. I would recommend making a batch of it, measuring out what you need for the recipe, and then putting the rest in a jar with a lid for later.
Keywords: bacon bbq sauce, sticky bbq sauce, tangy bacon sauce