Clearly zucchini is my go-to summer vegetable. I mean what’s not to love? It’s healthy, can be prepared 9 bajillion ways and it’s fanfriggentastic!
Lemme just say, the addition of the Jarlsberg cheese to these crispy scrumptious fritters takes them from “totally yummilicious” to “OMG where have you been all my life?!?!” delicious!
Yeah.. it’s like that! I’m going full blown in-yer-face-come-‘n-get-me Zucchini-fied on you. LOL
These beauties were so crispy on the outside but tender and almost puffed on the inside. The cheese just melted into a sea of zucchini love, they married and produced the most amazing delicious baby. Er wait.. that sounds weird, huh? *shrugs* eh, fahgedaboutit *wink* Just go with it.
What funny is that if my dear Mother were still here and she heard that I 1 – love zucchini and 2 – eat ANYTHING with onions in it, she’d grab your ear (man, why do Mom’s go for the ear anyway? That stuff hurts!), take you to the bathroom and immediately put a bar of soap in your mouth for fibbin’! Yeah, my mom was THAT type of Mom. She didn’t tolerate crap, fibbers and sass. She was truly an amazing woman and not a day goes by that I don’t miss her.
I can remember as a kid her making these and I would IMMEDIATELY turn my nose up because they had I’d die if I ate one onions in them and zucchini. Now being the youngest of 6, I was spoiled so she would make me my own without onions however I still had to eat the zucchini ones. I’d make the 7-year-old-girl-squinched-up-face as I ate them (mind you, they were buried under 3″ of apples sauce – I figured that would kill the taste of zucchini) and eat them. However as I got older and more into this ‘cooking thing’, I revisited a lot of my childhood foods and tried to make them into something I’d love today. Thing is, Mom had it right. She was an amazing cook and it’s because of her and my Dad that I have a true passion and appreciation for ingredients and being in the kitchen.
Now these are awesome with sour cream, apple sauce, dipped in Bacon BBQ Sauce, ranch or just eaten nekkid! I mean eat these plain and not you nekkid. Well okay, you can be nekkid but I strongly advise not doing this with windows wide open *wink*
I absolutely LOVE these things! My mama would go nuts over these with the simple addition of the cheese. She would be all over these!
So Mama, I think I done did you proud with this one!Print
- Place the shredded zucchini in a cheese cloth and wring out all the water. You should get at least 1/4-1/2 cup of zucchini ‘juice’.
- In a bowl place the zucchini, onion, cheese, salt, pepper, egg, flour and panko.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a cast iron skillet (you can use a non-stick if you don’t have one) add 2-3 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until the oil start to shimmer (but NOT smoke).
- Drop small batches of the zucchini fritter into the oil. Be sure not to overcrowd.
- Take the back of your spoon and gently flatten them out.
- Cool until the edges start to get golden brown. ~3-4 minutes
- Using a spatula flip the over and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. If you find they are browning too fast, reduce your heat to medium.
- Have a plate lined with paper towels ready and transfer the cheesy fritters onto the plate.
- Sprinkle with salt while warm.
- Repeat the process and adding more oil when necessary.
- Serve with sour cream, apple sauce, hot sauce or just eat ‘em nekkid. That is the fritter is nekkid, not you *wink*