- 12 stalks of asparagus, woody ends snipped off
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 4 Tbl garlic, minced
- 1/3–1/2 cup mascarpone cheese * for lower fat use low-fat ricotta that you’ve blended until very creamy
- 1 lb capellini or fettuccini noodles
- 6 slices prosciutto, rough cut into smaller strips *leave out for meatless
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 1/2–1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 – 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/2–1 tsp sea salt if not using prosciutto
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4–6 ounces shaved Parmesan Cheese
- To shave the asparagus stalks into long ribbons, place a stalk on the cutting board in front of you with the tip pointing away from you.
- Starting at the stem end, use a Vegetable Peeler to shave ribbons off of the stalk, pressing down to make sure you get an even cut.
- Bring a large pot of water to a hard boil, add in the pasta, pinch of salt and boil until al dente. ~5-8 minutes (depends on the type of noodle).
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil until hot.
- Add in the shallots and garlic.
- Sauté until translucent ~5-6 minutes.
- Add in the black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Drain the pasta but reserve 1-2 cups of the pasta water.
- Pour a cup of pasta water and lemon juice to the skillet and add mascarpone.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Add in the shredded parmesan cheese and stir.
- Toss in the asparagus ribbons for a few minutes just to soften slightly.
- Add the pasta to the pan and gently mix.
- Add in the prosciutto and remove the pan from the heat, gently stirring in the prosciutto.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Plate and add shaved Parmesan on top.
I highly recommend this Vegetable Peeler . Love it!