- 12 small to medium sized red potatoes, washed with just a few fork pricks in each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus enough to spray
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4–5 slices crispy cooked bacon, ripped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/4–1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, minced – whites and greens
- Preheat oven to 450F with a rack in the middle and one towards the bottom.
- In a bowl add the potatoes, olive oil and salt.
- Gently mix to coat evenly.
- Place a piece of foil on the lower rack.
- Place the potatoes directly on the middle oven rack.
- Bake for ~40-50 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with baking spray.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and place on the baking sheet.
- Using the back of a metal spatula (without having cut outs in it) or even the bottom of a heavy cup or soup can (clean it first), smash the potatoes down to about 1” thick.
- Lightly spray the potatoes with olive oil and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes to just melt the cheese.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with bacon, sour cream and green onions.
To make ahead, roast the potatoes and then smash them down. Place the potatoes on a plate, allow to cool and then cover with plastic wrap. To serve, place on baking sheet, spray with oil and bake for 10 minutes to reheat. Then top with cheese, bake for 3-5 and garnish as stated above.