- 1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 12 slices sandwich pepperoni cut into thin strips
- 6–8 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup shaved fresh Parmesan
- Taking the zucchini make long, thin ribbon noodles using a vegetable peeler or mandolin.
- Pass the peeler or mandolin over the side of the zucchini lengthwise to produce long, flat noodles. *When using a mandolin use the smallest blade setting.
- When you approach the seeds, turn the zucchini and begin slicing another side. The seeds will prevent the noodles from holding together, so you do not want to use the part with seeds in it.
- Set the zucchini aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat add the oil.
- When the oil just starts to shimmer add in the shallots and tomatoes.
- Cook for 2 minutes or just until the shallots and tomatoes begin to soften slightly.
- Add in the garlic, pepperoni and red pepper flakes stirring gently.
- After 2 minutes add in the zucchini noodles, salt and black pepper.
- Using tongs gently toss around to coat evenly and the zucchini ribbons begin just to soften.
- Add in the lemon juice and cook for 30 seconds gently tossing.
- Remove from heat and tear up the basil leaves placing them in the pan.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir once and plate.
- Top with shaved Parmesan.
If you wanted you could also use squash as well with this dish.