- 1 medium-large butternut squash (about 3 lbs), peeled, cut in half and seeded
- 4 Tbl butter, unsalted
- 1 Tbl garlic, minced
- 2 tsp parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs or Gluten Free Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 375F, rack in the middle.
- Lightly spray a glass casserole dish or a 9×13” baking dish.
- In a skillet cook the bacon until crispy, ~8-10 minutes.
- Remove the bacon and crumble.
- Remove all but 1 Tbl of bacon grease. Set aside
- Place one half of the butternut squash cut side down and slice into 1/4” thick slices.
- Repeat with the other half.
- Layer the squash in the pan slightly overlapping.
- Return the skillet with the 1 Tbl of bacon grease to a medium heat.
- Add in the butter to melt.
- When the butter begins to foam add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or just until the garlic has softened.
- In a bowl add the bread crumbs, grated cheese, salt, pepper and 2 Tbl of the butter mixture.
- Mix just to moisten the crumbs.
- Evenly spoon the butter garlic mixture over top of the squash slices.
- Top with moistened bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the oven top with the shaved parmesan cheese and bacon crumbles and bake for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is slightly melted.
For vegetarian omit the bacon entirely.