- 2–3 pounds boneless beef country-style ribs
- 1/2 cup Coke or water
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbl oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 40.5 ounce can of kidney beans (undrained)
- 1 16 ounce can black beans (undrained)
- 1 16 ounce can northern beans (undrained)
- 1 16 ounce can corn, drained
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 8 strips crispy bacon, cooked and rough chopped
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbl dutch cocoa
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4–1/2 tsp cayenne (per your liking)
- 1–2 Tbl Applewood seasoning (See note)
- Green onion
- Shredded cheddar
- Sour cream
Pressure Cook the beef
- Set a pressure cooker to sauté, add 1 Tbl oil and sear the beef on all sides til browned. Shut the pressure cooker off. Add in 1/2 cup of Coke, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 cup bbq sauce to the beef. Pressure cook on meat (High) for 40 minutes. Allow a natural release for 15 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan, shred. Separate the fat from the liquid in the pot. Return the liquid back to the pot. Add in the remaining 1/2 cup of bbq sauce and set to sauté. Reduce until thickened (about 15 minutes). While the sauce is reducing, use a wooden spoon to lightly break up the chunks of beef.
Make the Chili
- In a heavy-bottomed pot add 1 Tbl of oil. Place the pot on the stove, put the heat to medium, and add the olive oil to the pan. When the olive oil shimmers add the onion sautéing for 5 minutes or until the onions soften and start to turn translucent.
- To the pot add the tomatoes, potatoes, corn, beans (with liquid), rest of the seasonings and spices plus the beef, bacon and bbq sauce. Stir to combine and bring to a slow boil.
- Once it begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low and partially place a lid over top. Cook for 60-90 minutes stirring every 15/20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the chili is thick.
- Remove the lid, stir and taste for seasoning. If the chili is too thick, add in a little bit of water or Coke.
- Serve with chopped green onions, shredded cheddar, sour cream and tortilla chips if desired.
- Refrigerate the rest or allow to cool completely prior to packaging up for freezer meals.
Applewood Spice Seasoning Rub
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbl smoked paprika
2 Tbl chili powder
1 Tbl garlic powder
1 Tbl cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
3 tsp mustard powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process for 30 seconds.
2. Store the unused blend in an airtight container in a cupboard or pantry.