Don’t discard those broccoli and cauliflower stalks. Use them in delicious new ways!
Broccoli and Cauliflower stalks get a bad rap. They get discard and tossed in the trash as if they didn’t even matter. Discarded because they aren’t pretty and don’t have the lovely little florets atop them any longer. Imagine how they feel? They carry the brunt of the weight, support the florets as they grow only to be chopped off and pitched. Pretty sad, huh?
</end dramatic scene> lol
A little dramatic but I’m trying to make a point. It’s all edible so why discard it because it’s not so pretty or something a bit woody?
Those stalks contain so many vitamins and nutrients plus hello…FLAVOR! They are so often overlook and honestly you’re really missing out BIG TIME!
Broccoli & Cauliflower Stalks
They aren’t pretty, kinda woody and hard, so what do you use them in? EVERYTHING! Shave it with a veggie peeler and start to create deliciousness!
- Mince and saute up with other veggies to make fried “rice”.
- Shred to make slaw or add to salads. They are amazing raw!
- Use a mandolin, slice thin and bake into chips! Seriously broccoli chips are one of my FAVORITES!
- Slice up into thin sticks like carrot sticks and use it on a veggie tray. Seriously they taste amazing! Use the whole thing!
- Add to your soup bases, cook it down and then puree for intense flavor!
- With summer here, cut them into slices, drizzle with oil/salt/pepper and grill.
- Cut into chunks and roast like your other veggies – 400F, salt, oil and roast for 15 minutes or until soft. When done add some garlic powder, pepper, chili oil and maybe some Parmesan cheese
- Chop them up and use them in your veggie burgers. You can either cook them first or mince them small and add them raw for some great texture.
- Chop up into small pieces and use in a salad.
- Slice up thin and add to your favorite sandwich for a great crunch factor!
So quit discarding such deliciousness and incorporate them into your recipes!
What are some ideas you would use these in?