- 2 pounds tomatoes (roma, beefsteak, any variety) – go with a mixture if you like
- 2–3 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4–1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (go with your heat preference)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In a small bowl whisk together the salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and basil.
- Cut each tomato into 1/3″ thick slices. Place in a single layer on a the rimmed baking sheets.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over the spice mixture
- Place the pans in the oven and roast for 35-55 minutes (this will vary depending on how juicy your tomato is to start with). The slices will be ready when the tomatoes have started to shrink and caramelize around the edges. Their color will turn a deeper red, almost scarlet color.
- Remove from the oven, place the tomatoes and liquid into container. Either use immediately or store the covered, cooled tomatoes with liquid in fridge for up to 3 days.