- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Take your starter out of the refrigerator, stir it and pour into a large glass bowl.
- Measure out 1 cup and discard (here you can make sourdough pretzels, waffles or give it to a friend so they can feed it and make their own starter!)
- Add in 1 cup of flour and a1/2-3/4 cup of warm water (if your water is heavily chlorinated or unfiltered, use bottled water) Chlorine retards the starter and can affect it.
- Stir to incorporate and cover with clean linen.
- Allow to sit for at least 12 hours (I usually go a day). This will reactivate the yeast. When you uncover it, it will be all bubbly and ‘yeasty’
- Stir and measure out how much you need for your recipe (1 cup per our example).
- Now you need to feed it again – add 1 cup of flour and ½ cup of warm water.
- Stir then cover. Let this sit at room temperature until all bubbly (about 3-5 hours)
- Once bubbly, stir it again and pour it into a 2qrt glass jar and cover with your “holy” lid.