- Olive Oil
- sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon per potato
- 1–2 Tbl butter per potato
- 1 Tbl brown sugar per potato
- Heat the Oven to 450°F – Turn on the oven while you’re preparing the potatoes.
- Scrub the Potatoes – Scrub the potatoes thoroughly under running water and pat them dry. You don’t have to remove the eyes, but trim away any blemishes with a paring knife.
- Season the Potatoes – Rub the potatoes all over with a little olive oil. It’s easiest to use your hands, but a pastry brush also works fine.
- Prick with a Fork or sharp knife (watch your fingers) – Prick the potatoes in a few places with the tines of a fork. This allows steam to escape from the baking potato.
- Bake the Potatoes – You can bake the potatoes directly on the oven rack, or you can place them a few inches apart on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake the potatoes for 45-60 minutes. Flip them over every 20 minutes or so and check them for doneness by piercing them with a fork. Potatoes are done when the skins are dry and the insides feel completely soft when pierced.
- To get the skins crispy, broil on high for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove from oven and cut a slit down the middle but not going all the way through.
- Putting 2 fingers at one end and your thumbs at the other squeeze inward causing the potato to “bloom” open.
- Add the butter, cinnamon and brown sugar
Never wrap in foil…. Why? That ends up steaming the potato and giving is a soft skin.