- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can white beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil and enough for burger sautéing
- 2 tablespoon red peppers, minced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- In a large skillet, melt butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until translucent. Add in the spinach and cover. Cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Take 1 1/2 cups of each type of beans and mash in a large bowl. Add in the remaining whole beans, red peppers, seasoning, egg, bread crumbs, feta, and cooled onion & spinach mixture.
- Mix until combined. *Note – it will be sticky so if you want, lightly wet your hands with water as you mix. Just be sure not to add water to the mixture. Form into 6-8 patties, depending on how big you want them.
- Add enough olive oil to the bottom of the pan with the heat set to medium-high.
- When the oil is hot enough, add the patties in leaving a 1” space between them. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the bottom has a nice golden brown crispy crust. Flip and cook for 4-5 minutes or until it has a nice golden brown crispy crust.
- Set your oven to 375. Once patties are made, lightly coat them with olive oil.
- Put them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip and continue baking for another 15 or until they are golden brown and crispy.