- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tbl flour (cold)
- 1 Tbl sugar (cold)
- 1/2 tsp salt (cold)
- 6 Tbl unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and very, very cold
- 2 Tbl Crisco (cold and not butter flavored)
- 5 Tbl ice water, or as needed
- Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Add the butter and shortening.
- Using a pastry blender, cut the ingredients together so it resembles coarse crumbs. You still want to be able to see pieces of butter.
- Add 1 Tbl of water at a time as you just want the dough comes together. Do not overmix.
- Shape into a smooth ball of dough, flatten into a square or rectangle, and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes as you want it chilled. This will allow the butter to harden. You want to be able to see bits of butter as that’s what will give you flaky dough.
- Follow your recipe’s directions on using a pie crust.