- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper seeded and cut into 1/4” strips
- 4 cups fresh spinach, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups dried wild mushrooms, re-hydrated (See Note!)
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg (THIS is the secret to AMAZING béchamel sauce!)
- In a deep skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and 1tablespoon butter.
- When melted add in the peppers and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until just soft.
- Pat dry the chicken and season both sides with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme.
- Remove the peppers from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the chicken and sear on one side for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip the chicken over and cook for 3 minutes or just enough to get a light golden brown color.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the remaining butter.
- Once it’s melted, add in the drained mushrooms and thyme.
- Sauté for ~5 minutes.
- Add in the onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Here is where you cook the roux for about ~2 minutes. You will ‘smell’ the flour cooking.
- Whisk in the milk until no lumps remain.
- Add in the 1/2 teaspoon salt, white pepper and remaining thyme.
- Reduce to low.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and pour the béchamel sauce in.
- Add in the spinach and peppers; stirring gently.
- Place the chicken into the sauce and cook until the chicken’s internal temperature is 165F.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
Re-hydrating wild mushrooms
Boil some water and pour into a bowl, add the quantity you require, but remember that dried mushrooms increase in volume to 3 to 4 times. Soak your mushrooms in the hot (not boiling) water for about 20 – 30 minutes or until fully re-hydrated stirring occasionally (please do not use the mushrooms before re-hydrating)