- 2 slices Dark Pumpernickel or Jewish Rye
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 slices of thinly sliced corned beef
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoon sauerkraut with 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed mixed in
- 3 slices baby swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard *or 1 tablespoon Russian Dressing (recipe below)
- Wrap the bread in aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes – just until crispy.
- When the bread is crisp, remove from the oven, unwrap and allow to cool slightly
- In a medium skillet with well fitted lid, add the corned beef, sauerkraut and water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Remove the heat and add in 1/2 of the whole grain mustard or Russian dressing.
- Stir just until heated through.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet over medium heat. *Note: If you have a Panini press, use that for the remaining steps.
- Take 1 slice of the crunchy bread and brush one side with butter.
- Lay buttered side down flat in the hot pan and add 1 ½ slices of cheese down.
- Next add the meat and sauerkraut.
- Top with the remaining cheese and remaining slice of bread that has been buttered. Buttered side facing up.
- After about 5 minutes or when the bottom is all toasted nicely flip the sandwich and push down slightly again.
- Cook until the bread is nicely toasted and the cheese is all melty.
- Serve with remaining mustard or Russian Dressing.
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoon chili sauce
2 teaspoon sour cream
1/2 teaspoon curly parsley leaves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon Spanish onion, grated
1 1/2 teaspoon dill pickle, minced
Splash of lemon juice (~1/8th teaspoon)
1/8-1/4 teaspoon horse radish
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all ingredients, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.