- 2 large Vidalia sweet onions, cut into 1/4” slices
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (more if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoon grated Jarlsberg Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2–1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 slices cooked, chopped bacon *OPTIONAL (lord knows how much you people love bacon!)
- Toasted Party Rye
- Corn Chips
- Melt the butter and oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Add in the onions and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Once the onion begins to brown, reduce the heat to low.
- Add in the sugar and cook for 20-30 minutes stirring every 3-5 minutes until the onions reach a golden brown. If necessary, add a small trace amount of oil if the pan gets dry.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, add in the 2 cups Jarlsberg cheese, cream cheese, paprika, mayo and ground black pepper to taste.
- Add in the onions and mix to combine.
- At this point you can add in the bacon.
- Mix well and pour into a buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Garnish with smoked paprika if desired.
I served this with toasted Party Rye breads but you could easily serve this with corn chips, vegetables, crackers, etc…
My favorite way to shovel this in my mouth is to toast some party rye, put a thinly sliced piece of prosciutto on and then put a heaping slather of this amazing spread on top!