- 1 pound eye of round steak, partially frozen
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Pittsburgh Slaw
- 8 thick slices of Provolone Cheese or Jarlsberg Cheese
- 8 1” thick slices of hearty bread (Italian or Olive Oil bread works great)
- 8 ounces of fresh cut fries, fried, lightly salted and hot (you want roughly 8–12 fries per sandwich, 12–18 if you’re fry fanatic!)
- 8 slices of fresh tomato
- 4 fried eggs *optional
- 4 tablespoon butter
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the meat against the grain in 1/4” slices. Having it partially frozen will make it easier to cut. Place the strips of beef on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and gently toss to combine.
- Allow to sit out for at least 30 minutes or until the beef is room temperature. When you’re ready to cook the beef, place the oil in a large stainless steel skillet and heat over medium-high.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and gently roll the pan around to cover the entire bottom with oil. Add the steak into the pan and allow to cook for 1 minute without touching it. Using tongs, gently move the steak around cooking on all sides or until just cooked through. ~2 minutes. Remove the steak from the pan and set it aside.
- While the steak is resting, heat a grill pan over medium-low heat. Butter both sides of the bread.
- Place the inside buttered sides down on the pan. Grill for 3-6 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the bread over and place 1 slice of cheese on each side.
- For each sandwich, top one side with 8-12 fries On the other half of the sandwich, top with 4 ounces of cooked steak, 1 fried egg, 2 slices of tomato, and 1/2 cup of Pittsburgh slaw.
- Grill for 4-6 minutes or until the side against the pan is golden brown. Carefully flip the French fry side on top of the steak-egg-tomato-slaw side. Plate and allow to cool just for 30 seconds before cutting.
If you didn’t want steak, you could easily substitute in chicken, portabella mushrooms, grilled eggplant or zucchini.
For deli-meats leave just grill slightly (minus the salt pepper). Capicola, Salami, Ham & Turkey, Roast Beef – all fantabulous!
My 2nd personal favorite – Fried egg and tons of BACON! SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!