- 2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbl butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup red pepper, seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 4 medium-large red potatoes, skin on and cubed
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2–3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Heat 1 Tbl of oil in a heavy 12” skillet over medium-high heat. Do not let it smoke. Add the onion & pepper and cook until browned about 8-10 minutes. Do not let this burn. Stir frequently. When done, remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- While the onions and peppers are cooking add the potatoes into a large saucepan. Add just enough cool water just until the tops of the potatoes are covered and they float slightly. Place the pan over high heat. As soon as the water begins to boil, remove from the heat and drain the potatoes in a colander. ~5 minutes.
- In the pan, the onions and peppers were sautéed in, place it back on the burner to medium-high and add the butter and remaining oil. When the butter foams, add the potatoes in a single layer, making sure each potato is touching the surface of the skillet. Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes WITHOUT stirring. You want the sides to brown. Once browned on one side, carefully flip and brown the other sides. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once all the sides are crispy brown, add the onions and peppers back in and gently stir. Next add in the salt, black, pepper, and paprika. Stir gently and remove from heat.
If you’re a fan of smoked paprika, this is really good with garlic powder or hot sauce. Maybe some cumin or just plain salt and pepper.