- 2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbl butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup red pepper, seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 4 medium-large red potatoes, skin on and cubed
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2–3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Heat 1 Tbl of oil in a heavy 12” skillet over medium-high heat. Do not let it smoke.
- Add the onion & pepper and cook until browned about 8-10 minutes. Do not let this burn. Stir frequently.
- When done, remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- While the onions and peppers are cooking add the potatoes into a large sauce pan.
- Add just enough cool water just until the tops of the potatoes are covered and they float slightly.
- Place the pan over high heat.
- As soon as the water begins to boil, remove from the heat and drain the potatoes in a colander. ~5 minutes.
- In the pan the onions and peppers were sautéed in, place it back on the burner to medium-high and add the butter and remaining oil.
- When the butter foams, add the potatoes in a single layer, making sure each potato is touching the surface of the skillet.
- Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes WITHOUT stirring. You want the sides to brown.
- Once browned on one side, carefully flip and brown the other sides. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once all the sides are crispy brown, add the onions and peppers back in and gently stir.
- Next add in the salt, black, pepper and paprika.
- Stir gently and remove from heat.
If you’re a fan of smoked paprika, this is really good with garlic powder or hot sauce. Maybe some cumin or just plain salt and pepper.