- 2 1/2 cups Gluten Free Panko, divided *See note for regular and Keto
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4” thick
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp each dried oregano and basil
- 1–1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups Marinara Sauce, warmed
- 1/4–1/2 cup Olive oil
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top. In a food processor grind 3/4 cup of the Panko until it’s a powder – this will be your flour. Place ground Panko, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl and gently mix.
- Beat eggs in a second shallow bowl.
- Combine remaining Panko and parmesan, oregano and basil in a third shallow bowl.
- Set up an assembly line and dredge the chicken in the ground Panko, shaking off any excess. Transfer to the beaten egg and turn to coat. You want the flour (your ground Panko) to be covered in eggs. Allow the excess to drip back into the bowl. Place the chicken in the panko-parmesan mixture and coat evenly. Press to adhere.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large heavy skillet or a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the chicken until golden brown ~4-6 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown. ~4 minutes. Transfer to the cooling rack on the pan. Add more oil if needed and repeat until all the chicken is cooked. Preheat broiler and place rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Place 1/4 cup of sauce (or more/less if desired) on top of the breasts down the center. Try not to get it to the edges. Evenly divide the cheese on top of the sauce. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
* If you don’t want/need it gluten-free you can use 2 cups panko plus 1/2 cup of AP flour. The flour will act as your dredge. For Keto use pork rinds!