- 4 russet potatoes, (either peeled or not)
- 2 Tbl butter
- 2 Tbl crisco (or bacon drippings)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- Shred potatoes into a large bowl filled with cold water.
- Stir until water is cloudy, drain, and cover potatoes again with fresh cold water.
- Stir again to dissolve excess starch. I repeated these steps 4 times.
- Place the potatoes in a colander and press down with a clean linen towel to squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Remove from the colander and pat dry with paper towels squeezing out the last bit of moisture.
- Heat butter and Crisco in a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- In a bowl, mix gently the potatoes with the salt, black pepper, cayenne and smoked paprika (plus optional onion powder).
- Gently place the potatoes in the hot pan.
- Cook potatoes until a brown crust forms on the bottom, about 9-13 minutes.
- Continue to cook and stir until potatoes are browned all over, about 9-13 more minutes.