- 1 1/2 pounds 90/10 (lean) ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 3–4 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed (not fat free)
- 2 1/2 cups room temperature homemade beef stock *see note
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 3 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 cups peas *see note
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or fat free sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wide Egg Noodles and Perfect Mashed Potatoes for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add in the meat, onions, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Stir occasionally to break up the meat into small nickel-sized pieces. Cook until the meat is almost cooked through but still slightly pink, ~5 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- With the meat mixture still in the pan, add in the garlic and sliced mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms and meat are cooked through, ~5-6 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the cream cheese. Do not stir. Let it melt first. ~3-5 minutes.
- Gently mix until the cream cheese is incorporated throughout the meat mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the milk and beef stock. Add the cornstarch into the broth milk mixture and whisk until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps. Slowly pour in the beef milk mixture into the pan and cook over medium-high heat. Stir to combine and let the mixture start to bubble then reduce the heat to a simmer to allow it to thicken slightly. ~2-4 minutes. Add in the peas and gently stir in. Add in the yogurt or sour cream and gently combine. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with cooked egg noodles and mashed potatoes.
If you do not have homemade beef stock you can use canned/boxed however make sure it is low/no-sodium.
Now when it comes to peas I used canned, drained peas. I personally can’t stand frozen peas but that’s just me. You can easily use thawed, frozen peas in this if you wish.