- Rice paper
- 1 pound medium size shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces of cooked vermicelli rice noodles (cooked per the packages instructions)
- 1 seedless cucumber cut into thin 4” long strips
- 3 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 head of red leaf pieces lettuce, ribs removed
- 6 green onions, chopped white and green parts
- about 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro
Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup regular soy sauce
- 2 Tbl rice vinegar
- 4 Tbl sesame oil
- 2 Tbl light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger, don’t use ginger powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Sriracha (Chinese hot sauce)
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, brown sugar and Sriracha.
- Set the sauce aside.
- Place enough hot water (about bath water hot) in a baking dish to come up 1″. You want it deep enough to be able to submerge the rice paper.
- Place 1 rice paper in the water and gently submerge, flattening it out and allowing the paper to become soft. ~5-10 seconds.
- Place the rice paper (be careful as they are delicate now) on a flat surface.
- At the side closest to you, place a lettuce leaf.
- Top with some of the vermicelli noodles, some of the carrots, a slice of cucumber, green onions,a few sprigs of cilantro (about 4 -5 leaves) and about 4 pieces of shrimp. Now some choose to slice the shrimp in half but I prefer the whole thing.
- Using both hands, lift the side of the rice paper closest to you and over the filling, folding in both ends burrito style. With a firm hold on the part of the roll with the filling inside, continue to tightly roll away from you until the roll is sealed. The dampness of the skin will help to seal as you go.
- Serve immediately with the Spicy Thai Peanut Dipping Sauce.
- This makes ~16-20 summer rolls.
Make these the day of serving. To keep in the fridge, line the bottom of the tray with a slightly damp paper towel and place the rolls in the tray leaving room in between. If layering add plastic wrap and another damp paper towel on top. Cover with plastic wrap.