- 2 cups AP flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft (melted and cooled)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ripe banana
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1–2 cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup blueberry jam, slightly warmed
- 3 Tbl coarse sugar (or for some crunch use turbinado sugar)
- Confectioners’ Sugar
- Blueberry Topping
- Preheat oven to 400F, rack in the middle.
- Grease and flour a 12″ springform pan.
- Wrap the outside and bottom of the pan foil (to catch any leaking).
- Place the wrapped pan on a baking sheet.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add in the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder mix just to incorporate.
- Add in the eggs, banana, buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
- Mix for about a minute, scrape down the sides and then mix again for another minute or two. You don’t want to over mix this; you don’t want air whipped into this.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Washing out the bowl, dry and switch to the whip attachment on your stand mixer (can use a hand mixer).
- Make your cream cheese filling by adding in your cream cheese and sugar and whip for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the egg and lemon and mix for 2 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
- Mix again for another 1-2 minutes until well mixed.
- Pour this mixture on top of the cake mix leaving a 1/2” edge all the way around (don’t go to the edge of the pan).
- Make the Blueberry topping by placing dollops of your jam on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Using a knife, gently swirl just the tip (you don’t want to go all the way to the bottom of the pan).
- Place the blueberries on top evenly dispersing.
- Sprinkle the 3 Tbl sugar over top.
- If baking in a 12” pan, bake for 30 minutes at 400F and then tent with foil (do not let it touch the top of the cake), reduce the temperature to 375F and continue baking for an additional 45-70 minutes (test with a skewer – the skewer should come out clean).
- If baking in a 9” pan (meaning the recipe for the cake portion has been halved), bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Tent with foil and reduce the temp to 375F and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean – no jiggle in the middle either).
- Place on a cooling rack and cool for 20 minutes.
- Remove the outer ring of the springform pan and cool completely before cutting.
- Garnish with confectioners’ sugar and Blueberry Topping .
- Store in the fridge.
This recipe is for a 12” cake. For a 9” cake, half ONLY the cake portion of the recipe, not the cream cheese filling or blueberry topping