- 4 Tbl butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups half and half (or can use all milk)
- 1 pound shaved chipped baked ham (or can use chopped dried beef)
- 3 1/2 cups peas (canned or frozen – thawed)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 slices of bread, toasted – don’t forget about the ‘anchor’ crusts!
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the flour and whisk for a minute to cook the flour.
- SLOWLY add in the milk whisking constantly to break up the clumps.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, whisking often until the mixture thickens. ~3-6 minutes. Watch so it doesn’t burn!
- Once the mixture thickens add in the ham and using a rubber tipped spatula, mix to combine, gently scraping on the base on the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the peas, stir gently and turn off the heat.
- Toast the bread and place 2 slices of toast on a plate.
- Ladle a generous portion over the toast.