- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (has to be buttermilk)
- 1/3 cup melted butter, unsalted
- 1 egg, room temperature and separated
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- In a bowl beat the egg white until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Add the milk, butter, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla and mix just until combined. Do not overmix as you do not want air in this. Some lumps are OK.
- Gently fold in the egg whites until combined. Do not deflate the egg whites. This is what will give your waffles that light texture.
- Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat a waffle iron.
- Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles.
- Serve immediately hold in a 200 degree oven, directly on the rack. I would not recommend stacking them as they are heavy and may get smushed or soggy on the plate.
To freeze, allow to cool completely and wrap individually in plastic wrap.
To reheat just place frozen in the toaster.
We personally like a sweeter waffle so when I make them I like almost a 1/2 cup however you can certainly add the lesser amount.
Depending on how big your waffle iron is, will depend on how many waffles you get out of this. Mine is fairly large so I get 5-6 waffles that are pretty big.