- 3 1/2 cups chopped portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups chickpeas, drained and divided
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets (make the pieces small – not minced but not chunky)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 4 Xl eggs
- 2 tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (make the pieces small – not minced but not chunky)
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire (regular or vegetarian as regular contains anchovies)
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers (make the pieces small – not minced but not chunky)
- 1 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs (regular or gluten free)
- 3 slices wheat (or white) bread torn into small pieces (can use gluten free)
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoon spicy ketchup glaze
Spicy Ketchup Glaze
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 350F, rack in the middle.
- Line a rimmed large baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray.
- Make the spicy ketchup glaze by adding all ingredients in a bowl, mixing and setting aside.
- Place 1 cup of chickpeas in a bowl and using a masher, mash them until they form a chunky paste.
- In a large bowl add the mushrooms, whole chickpeas, mashed chickpeas, broccoli, zucchini, peppers, onions, garlic and steak seasoning; mix to combine.
- Add in the eggs, Worcestershire, bread crumbs, milk and ketchup glaze and using your hands, mix until combined. The mixture will be very wet.
- Slowly add in the bread pieces until the mixture holds shape.
- Place the mixture in the center of your parchment paper.
- Using your hands, form a loaf that is about 15” long, 6-7” wide, and about 2 1/2” tall. You want the meatloaf to be smooth and to have more rounded edges. You want it pressed tightly together.
- Bake the veggie meatloaf for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush with a thick layer of the spicy ketchup glaze.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, remove from the oven and brush with another thick layer of the glaze.
- Bake for a final 10 minutes or until the glaze is thick and dark in color.
Don’t buy the steak seasoning! Make your own! You can find the recipe for Montreal Steak Seasoning here!