Cinnamon Cheesecake Filling
- 8 ounces mascarpone, softened
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 XL egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 XL eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups peeled and coarse to finely chopped sweet apples (about 2–3 medium apples) – Gala, Fugi, Envy
Whipped Vanilla Bean Frosting
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (not confectioners)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
- Additional milk or heavy cream to thin out *optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F with the rack in the middle.
- Spray a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour.
To make the filling:
- Add the mascarpone, butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Using electric hand mixer, beat on medium speed until well combined and
- Add the eggs, flour, cinnamon and vanilla beating just until incorporated.
- Set aside.
To make the cake:
- Add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and whisk.
- Add the eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla and mix just until using a sturdy spoon.
- Fold in the apples until evenly distributed.
- Spoon 1/3 of the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Top evenly with 1/2 of the cheesecake filling, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge of the pan. This is easiest if you spoon it in instead pouring it. Try your best to not have it touch the sides of the pan.
- Use a thin, long blade knife to swirl the cheesecake filling with the cake batter just a few times. Don’t overdo it.
- Top with another 1/3 of the batter and the rest of the cheesecake filling.
- Stick the knife in only about an inch and swirl again.
- Top with the remaining cake batter.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Place another wire rack on top and grasping the rack with the edges of the pan, gently invert the cake onto the rack and allow to cool completely ~at least 2-3 hours.
To make the frosting:
- Place milk and flour in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk continuously until the mixture begins to bubble lightly and the mixture thickens.
- After about 7 minutes the mixture should be the consistency of thick cake batter.
- Remove from the heat, add in the vanilla bean seeds, stir and set aside to cool completely.
- Once the mixture has cooled completely (THIS IS IMPORTANT!), in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, add the butter and sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy and almost white in color, ~ 3 minutes. The sugar should be completely incorporated into the butter.
- Stop the mixer and add the cooled milk mixture to the butter mixture.
- Beat on high until all ingredients are incorporated, about 1 minute. The texture should resemble whipped cream.
- At this point you can spread on top of the cake or if you want a drizzle consistency add in a few tablespoon of cream or milk to the frosting to thin it out slightly.