- 2lbs ripe plum or roma tomatoes, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onions, chopped into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1–2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- In a large pot, fry up the bacon pieces til crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon pieces placing them on a paper towel to drain.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease, discard.
- Place the onions, tomatoes, sugar, Sriracha, vinegar, salt and pepper into the pot turning up the heat to high.
- Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is at a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add in the bacon and liquid smoke.
- Stir and cook for 1 hour or until the mixture has thickened, stirring often.
- Place the mixture into a Standard Blender or using an Immersion Blender , pulse until desired thickness.
- Transfer to a lidded jar and store in the fridge.
I highly recommend either of these Immersion Blenders based on your budget!
If you’re looking for a great standard blender, go with this one!