- 1 Best Pizza Dough
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pizza toppings – pepperoni, bacon, mushroom, sausage, etc…
- 1–2 teaspoon oregano
- 2–3 teaspoon corn meal for dusting
- Make the pizza dough per these instructions.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450F, rack in the middle.
- Line a large baking pan with parchment, lightly spray and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
- Set the pan aside.
- Lightly flour your surface and roll out your pizza dough to an 18”x12” rectangle. You want the dough to be about a 1/4” thick.
- Using your pizza cutter lengthwise, make a cut every 3” giving you 6 3” wide strips.
- Take your pizza cutter again and cut each strip in half (at the 6” mark) giving you 12 squares.
- Place 6 rectangles onto your parchment paper leaving 1” space in between. If need be use 2 trays. These are your bottoms, the rest are the tops.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg and water.
- In another bowl, mix together the 2 cheeses.
- Using a small pastry brush, brush the edges (about 1/2”) of the dough rectangles on your sheet with the egg wash.
- Place about 2-3 tablespoon of the cheese mixture in the middle of the rectangle and slowly spread out. You want to keep all of the toppings and sauce about 1/2” from the edge of the dough.
- Add any toppings (remember LESS IS MORE!).
- Top with 1-2 tablespoon of pizza sauce.
- Taking one of your tops, place it on top of your filled bottom.
- Use the tips of your fingers and gently press the edges together all the way around.
- Using a fork (it may help to dip it in flour to prevent sticking), crimp the edges all the way around the rectangle sealing it.
- Repeat this until 6 hand pies are made.
- Take your pastry brush, dip it back in the egg mixture and brush over the entire hand pie especially the edges.
- Take a toothpick and poke 6 holes just in the top of the dough to help allow the air to escape.
- Sprinkle the tops with a pinch of oregano.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and feels firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a minute before eating as the fillings will be super-hot
To reheat I popped mine into the toaster oven and toasted it for 3-4 minutes. They came out perfectly! Be sure though that when you toast them that they are all sealed around the edges. The ones that are not, I would put on a pan and heat up in the oven at 400F for 5-10 minutes.