- 2 1/2 cups Rice Krispies ((regular or gluten free))
- 1 cup flour (regular or gluten free)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2” thick strips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4–1/2 cup canola oil
- Line a rimmed baking pan with paper towels and set a cooling rack on top.
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl and gently mix.
- Beat eggs in a second shallow bowl.
- Combine Rice Krispies in a third shallow bowl.
- Set up an assembly line and dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Transfer to the beaten egg and turn to coat. You want the flour to be covered in eggs.
- Allow the excess to drip back into the bowl.
- Place the chicken in the cereal and coat evenly. Press to adhere.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large heavy skillet or a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, cook the chicken until golden brown ~4-6 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown. ~4 minutes. Test with thermometer. Chicken should read 165F.
- Place the cooked chicken on the cooling rack and continue cooking the rest of the chicken.
- Add more oil if needed and repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
- Serve with honey mustard.
To make the Skinny Baked version:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a cooling rack in it (or you can leave it out).
3. Spray the rack with cooking spray. If you’re not using the rack, spray the foil.
4. Coat the chicken per the instructions and lay them on the rack or foil.
5. Lightly spray the chicken with olive oil or a light oil.
6. Cook for 10-12 minutes and then gently flip.
7. Spray the chicken again.
8. Bake another 5-10 minutes or until the temperature reaches 165F.