- 8 lbs peeled and cubed apples – (60% Johnnagold, 20% Gala, 10% Rome Red, 5% golden delicious, 3% Fuji, 2% red delicious)
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Put apples and cider in heavy bottomed pot over high heat and cover.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or until steam comes out.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir the mixture.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft.
- Carefully remove the cinnamon stick and discard.
- Use a masher and gently break up the chunks but not all.
- Ladle into hot, sterile jars and can via the water bath method for 10 minutes.
- Remove from water and put upside down on cooling rack for 30 minutes.
Smooth Apple Sauce
If you prefer smooth apple sauce, just mash up the chunks until the mixture is smooth.
Cinnamon Apple Sauce
If you prefer cinnamon spiced apple sauce, add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the mixture.