- 3 whole large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup egg whites (6 large eggs), save the yolks for another use
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups cubed baby portabellas
- 1 cup chopped (bite-sized) bell peppers
- 1 large shallot cut into thin rounds
- 3 cups baby spinach, fresh, not frozen
- 2 Tbl unsalted butter
- 2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or Asiago cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken sausage sliced into 1/2” rounds (optional)
- 1 cup cooked crispy bacon crumbles (optional)
- chopped green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F, rack in the middle.
- Spray the insides and top or line with jumbo muffin liners of a 6 Wells Mini Round Cake Panel Pan or a 12 cup standard muffin pan. You should get roughly 8-11 out of this recipe if using the muffin pan. If you want you can use these paper baking molds Individual Paper Baking Pans .
- In a medium skillet over medium heat add the oil and butter.
- When the butter starts to foam add in the peppers and mushrooms gently tossing to coat the vegetables.
- After about 2 minutes, add in 1/2 tsp of salt and mix.
- Cook for 3 more minutes and add in the shallots.
- Stir and cook for another 2 minutes or until the peppers and mushrooms have softened.
- Toss in the spinach and gently mix until the spinach has wilted. ~1-2 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking put the eggs, egg whites and milk in a bowl.
- Whisk until frothy and well combined.
- Add in the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper.
- Evenly divide the vegetables and any meats (bacon or sausage) into the wells.
- Add the cheese on top of the vegetables.
- If adding in, sprinkle in the red pepper flakes.
- Pour the egg mixture over top leaving a 1/4” space at the top as the eggs will puff up when baking.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and if you didn’t use a liner, take a thin bladed spatula and run it along the outside of each frittata.
- Allow to cool for about a minute then place a cooling rack on top of the pan and flip the frittatas pan over.
- To prevent rack lines on top of your frittatas immediately flip the frittatas over (use a metal spatula to help flip) and place them, bottom side on the rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: to freeze allow to cool completely and then flash freeze (line a baking sheet with parchment paper. and place the cooled frittatas on the paper. Stick in the freezer for an hour (uncovered) or until frozen. Remove from the freezer and working quick, wrap each one in plastic wrap and then store in a freezer safe container or baggie.
To reheat, preheat the oven to 400F, rack in the middle. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes.
These individual paper baking pans works awesome for oven to freezer! Individual Paper Baking Pans