- 3 cups rough chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar (can use less if the berries are sweet)
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter *optional
- 1 whole Angel food cake, cut into 1” cubes
- 3 tablespoon melted butter, unsalted
- Cinnamon Sugar (2 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
- Whipped cream
- Place the berries, lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar in a sauce pan over high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. The berries will break down during the cooking. For a chunkier compote simmer for 15 minutes using a fork or masher to break up the berries. For a smoother compote, simmer for 25 minutes and mash. If need be add a tablespoon of water. *note: if the berries start to foam up, add in the butter and let it melt in. The butter will curb the foaming without altering the taste.
- Remove the berries from the heat and place in a glass jar (a lid will be needed to store any leftovers).
- Place a skillet over medium low heat. Dip all sides of the cubed cake into the butter and place in the pan. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove to a plate and immediately sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- To serve add a few grilled cubes of cake to a plate and spoon over the compote. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Store any leftover compote in a sealed jar in the fridge.
2514.9 g2.5 mg9 g40 g1 g23.7 mg