- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen spinach, drained and squeezed (measured after squeezed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup shredded fontina or gruyere
- 2 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350F, line 2 baking pans with parchment and set aside. In a bowl mix together the seriously squeezed spinach (yes you really need to squeeze as much liquid out of it as possible!), 1 egg, cheeses, garlic, shallots, parsley, salt and pepper until it’s all combined.
- In a small bowl whisk the remaining egg until frothy.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 sheet of the puff pastry until it forms a 12×12” square. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 4 equal squares. Take a clean pastry brush and brush the flour off of the pastry then place on one of the baking pans 2” apart. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash. Spoon 2 tablespoon of the mixture in the middle of the pastry. Grabbing opposite corners, put them up and over the filling pinching slightly. Repeat with the opposite corners pinching them all together. Repeat with the other squares on the pan. Grab the other sheet of puff pastry and repeat. Lightly brush the pastry puffs with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the puffs have turned golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
Roast up some mushrooms, onions, broccoli and cauliflower. Add those to the mixture for a great vegetarian meal! Add in about 1 cup of chopped roasted veggies to the mix!
To the mix add chopped salami, pepperoni, cooked sausage, shredded beef, or shredded chicken (about 1/2-1 cup).