- 4lbs boneless/skinless chicken (mixture of breasts and thighs)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbl tomato paste
- 1 Tbl garlic, minced
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbl lime juice
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 1–2 tsp adobo sauce (more means it’s hotter)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock (or water)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3–4 Tbl chopped cilantro
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, cloves, pepper, salt, lime juice, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, sugar and stock. Blend to combine.
- To at least a 6qrt pressure cooker, add the chicken, bay leaves and the liquid from the blender. Lock the lid, set the timer for 10 minutes on high. When the timer is done, do a quick release on the pressure.
- Remove the lid and shut off the pressure cooker. Using tongs, take out the chicken pieces placing them either into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or on a plate. If using the mixer, turn it on and mix just until the chicken is shredded (leave some chunks). If doing it by hand, use 2 forks and shred the chicken. Remember you want some bigger pieces.
- With the liquid still in the pressure cooker, remove the bay leaves (discarding them) and place the shredded chicken back into the liquid. Add in the cilantro, stir and let it rest in the liquid for 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the chicken and serve or place in a lidded container.
- With regards for the liquid, you can discard or, after straining the fat out, freeze it for later uses. It’s great as a liquid for dirty rice, pasta dishes and quinoa.
– Barbacoa Bowls
– Pizza toppings