Shortbread Pie Crust
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 sticks (16 Tbl) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 XL egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 3 Tbl cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F, rack in the middle. Line an 8×8” pan with parchment leaving a 1” overhang. Set aside.
- In a bowl, stir flour, baking soda, salt and sugar together. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, almond extract, cream and butter.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour and mix until the well moistened (like wet sand). Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Grab the pan, lightly spray and press remaining crust mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove the crust from the oven and spread the cherry pie filling evenly over the crust.
- Take the reserved crust topping and drop pieces over the pie filling. Don’t worry if it doesn’t cover the whole thing. Next sprinkle the coarse sanding sugar on top and put the pan back in the oven. topping over top and pop it back in the oven.
- Bake for 22-27 minutes or until the top crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan. ~2 hours
- Once completely cooled, grab the parchment overhang and pull the cherry pie bar out of the pan. Using a sharp knife, cut the pie into 16 slices.
- Store in an airtight container.